Sunday, September 30, 2012

Flowers and Last of the Squash

Short season variety of butternut squash
 My green bell peppers ripened to their intended deep chocolate color indoors after they were picked last week.  I hope my freshly picked butternut squash get a bit more "buttery" colored indoors too.  The vines look mostly dead, so I thought it would be a good time to bring them in.  I started the vines 6 weeks before putting them outdoors in spring. Squash-type vegetables would never ripen in time to sprout from the ground and ripen in our short season.  I've already stored away the pumpkins as purees in the freezer.  Mmmm.
The colors are great this year and I love the late-flowering perennials, like this geranium "Rozanne".  What a beautiful contrast!  I've yet to plant the tulips, which arrived in the mail two days ago. 

3 comments:

Northern Shade said...

I really like Rozanne for its long blooming time, and of course those pretty blue flowers.

Our temperatures have dropped today, so I should hurry and plant the last of my bulbs and perennials.

umesh said...

Great post and nice flowers.Thank you for posting your thoughts.

Chris said...

Hi there and greetings from Northern Ontario. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/