Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Hungry Snow Angel


I spotted this snow angel today as I rolled the trash bin out to the road. It clearly isn't human-sized, so I assume this was made by a bird. However, the whole imprint is quite large, being over two feet wide. I'd imagine a raven made this imprint, probably while it was checking out some potential food item on the ground. The only other birds I have seen recently are the cedar waxwings, who are partaking in the feast of berries still hanging on the mountain ash tree.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like he caught something on the ground.

Kyna said...

That is VERY cool :D

Unknown said...

Great photo...I can see the raven out hopping around, creating that pattern.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Ooh, that's really cool. The Magpies around here make snow angels, too.

Melanie J Watts said...

Wonderful photo. I love surmising what makes the prints in the snow.

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

That's quite a unique photo - yes, *uber* cool. :)

We have a raven nesting nearby at the top of the ravine across the street. He flew over my head last week and I could hear the thrumming of his powerful wings - quite a magnificent bird.

lisa said...

I've seen similar imprints around here...mine are usually an owl that got a mouse.