Friday, March 27, 2009

More Snow Than Ever!

I am wearing some spring-ish pastels these days, hoping that spring will soon come to affirm and complement my attire. So far, there has been no significant thaw and the snow is deeper than it has been all winter. Snowmobiling season is still going strong. I hear machines buzzing across the lake at all hours of day or night.
The gravel road in front of our house:

However, kids are out on dry parts of roads riding on their push-scooters and I am enjoying the extra hours of sunlight. Temperatures are not over zero yet, but should be soon.
I can't even see the tops of the raised beds yet!

I have a few annuals and perennials started in the basement now. They are doing well under the fluorescent lights. I am trying for a second time to root some tulip flowered geranium (Pelargonium) cuttings from my mother in law. So far, they look okay. Soon, I will start the tomatoes and a few herbs.
The basement light garden is getting filled up with seedlings this time of year. Some of the orchids may be kicked out and sent to loving adoptive homes.

The Livingstone daisy (ice plant, Dorotheanthus) seedlings look floppy, but are growing quickly. I am looking forward to my first summer of growing these, all inspired by our trip to Arizona!

Asarina scandens is a flowering annual that likes to climb. I've pinched these ones several times and like the results. Previously, I've had these plants look like wispy little strings for the first many months.

7 comments:

easygardener said...

Your basement garden must be a life saver with weather conditions like those. Next year when I'm again complaining about not having enough snow I'll try to think of you and stop(lol).

chzplz said...

From February through March, I see the bloggers south of me celebrate the first bit of spring, while looking at piles of snow and ice in my Ottawa garden. Today, I saw the first crocus poke its head up.

Keep holding on - yours is coming!

Unknown said...

I hear you, Gardenista. It's not quite as bad here in Nova Scotia, but annoying enough. It'll get better eventually, I keep telling myself. And repeating and repeating.
Your seedlings look great. You'll LOVE the ice plants when they start flowering. They will sulk if its cool at first, but then once they're established they'll bloom until a hard frost. Awesome.

O.I.M said...

oh dear. so sorry about your weather. sounds like a real drag. march has been merciful here in T.O. There hasn't been that last big blast of winter that I have come to expect...of course snow in April wouldn't be unheard of. your seedlings look good. here's hoping for a nice big warm-up so you can get them in the ground soon.
irena

Swimray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Swimray said...

Once you thaw out, you need to find a blog to read that's located more northern (norther?) than you - you will feel great.

Gardenista said...

Swimray - ha ha! Yes, I need to find a blog in northern Siberia or in permafrost or something. Then I'll feel so advanced in my garden!