Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Nearly Fall Already? I've Still Got Flowers

After a few posts of non-garden diversions, I thought I'd post some pictures of the flowers in my yard. Some say that an over-abundance of yellow is common in late summer flowers, yet my garden only has the yellow Gaillardia "Yellow Queen" in that color right now. Even my sunflowers are not yellow!

This is sunflower "Sunwalker", which is well-appreciated by bees and butterflies:

Echinacea "Ruby Star" is the shorter, deeper pink flower in the foreground. Behind those are the wild-type pale pink Echinacea and a white variety.

The Echinacea amidst the perennial raised bed.

Liatris spicata looks amazing at this time of year. A few seedling plants are growing near this one and I have been potting them up and giving them away.

Liatris spicata has such an interesting shape and texture and the foliage is inobtrusive in early summer.

1 comment:

Kandace said...

The first photo is absolutely stunning....now on my desktop, hope you don't mind!!

I am too tired to e-mail but will be soon. It's FRIDAY!! Hope you have a great weekend!