Thursday, August 14, 2008

Theft from my La Ronge Blog - Unbelievable!

While I don't have an explicit copyright warning on my blog, it is usually common courtesy to request permission for the use of photos or other content from a personal blog. Today we found one of my blog images in a commercial publication from a company based in Regina, SK. My husband nearly threw away the glossy flyer they sent to our post office box, but then burst out in laughter and had to explain to the post office staff why he was laughing.

A communications company was ignorant enough to swipe a digital creation off one of my May 2008 blog posts. Of all images to copy from my blog, it was a spoof image extensively digitally edited to make fun of our town's welcome sign. This cable television provider placed it on the center of the front of the flyer, below a picture of a kid that they might have taken from some other unfortunate blogger.

In that post, I was pointing out the lack of progress in the sign's construction after its initial erection in 2007. Fortunately, there has been some progress on the sign in the last few weeks, with some nice masonry adding a handsome base to the sign. However, I don't think any plants have been added yet. I would also like to point out that almost all of the flowers in the spoof image would not grow here.

A quick google search (which is probably how they found all the photos) reveals the source of the guy-with-fish photos.

I have created several digital garden images to test my own garden design ideas and to show family members some potential designs for their yards. It is a credit to the makers of the PC program Realtime Landscaping Pro that someone actually thought this was a real photograph rather than a digital creation!

Here is my spoof image of the La Ronge sign done in "Victoria, British Columbia" theme.
The original photo was taken in May, thus the surrounding vegetation is still dormant and the grass is brown at this time of year.


My question to this communications company is, why didn't you use this (below) photo from my blog? Did you think the locals wouldn't notice? Has anybody from your Regina office actually been to La Ronge?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here's the source for the canoe photo: http://www.keewatinwebs.ca/pimiskatan/images/nutpointchallange.jpg

Very, very, very lame work by Access

Anonymous said...

Just bizarre, Lisa! I hope you get some sort of retraction -- or at least a promise not to do anything so stupid again. And with a fake photo, at that. Yoikes. Makes me almost wish I got the flyers instead of having my box on "no flyers" -- I'd love to have a copy for my "what NOT to do in advertising/marketing".

Anonymous said...

Amazing - what a lazy effort by the company - and not noticing a fake photo! Doesn't inspire confidence in their capabilities.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this happened to you. You may want to check out www.tineye.com -- although it is in its early stages, it can trace images digitally (meaning, not the file name, it maps the images themselves and compares them to others on the 'net).

Philosophical Karen said...

How weird. I've had tons of stuff stolen from me (resulting in me putting copyright notices EVERYWHERE, as I'm sure you've seen), but never anything so blatant and well, just ignorant.

Anonymous said...

Normally copyright abuse is so annoying, but their choice of image is so funny. Are they that detached from the real world?
Have you taken up the palm idea with the city yet? It would be great for tourism brochures.

RURAL said...

Unbelievable. What's with those people. And do copyright notices actually work? The laws differ so much from country to country.
Jen

Kandace said...

Well that confirms my recent decision to go private (however 'secure' a blogger password is....) For all I know, Grayson is Japan's Gerber baby!!

grow veg indoors said...

Many veggies are suitable for container growing; tomatoes and peppers are among the easiest. Keep in mind, though, that anything you grow which requires pollination will have to be hand-pollinated (unless you have a bee hive inside your home). As for fruits, there are many dwarf varieties to choose from, including Orange, Lemon, Lime, Banana, Fig, Pomegranate and Blueberry. Given proper care these can and will produce inside but, again, pollination is an issue. This is especially true for the fig since they have to be pollinated by small wasps and flies which can enter the unexposed flower. Another possibility is Pineapple. Although it doesn't get very tall it does get quite wide; up to 6 feet, maybe more than that for some specimens. They take a long time to grow to producing size, usually 3 or 4 years but sometimes as long as 6 or 7 years. You can force them to bloom sooner if you want; the directions are available online with a quick search.

Good luck and enjoy!
grow veg indoors