Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Some Random Facts About Me Tag

I have been tagged by The Sun is Killing Me (Texas, USA), on this lovely Canada Day! I hope all the Canadians out there are having BBQ and fireworks and getting the day off work. We woke at 4:30 am to close all our windows because the forest fires were blowing thick smoke in our direction. Cough, cough...

The rules of this tag are as follows:
1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on the blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post.
5. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

A photo from Lac La Ronge, the lake across the street from us (photo taken last night).

6 Random things about me:

1) I once lost my bike at the bottom of a river on a wild mountain bike adventure.
2) I don't eat beef, but I'm not vegetarian. As I like to say, I'm a "flexitarian".
3) I got married in a conservatory, full of orchids, bananas, and other tropicals. Was I a bride-gardener-zilla, perhaps?
4) One of my favourite movies of the past few years is "Hot Fuzz", a ridiculous comedy about a UK policeman, who incidentally is dedicated to the care of his peace lily. In my opinion, one of the best lines of the movie involves the fate of the peace lily.
5) I once camped in the Serengeti, amid the eerie rumbling sounds of elephants and lions. I learned not to use the outhouse at night, having met a group of hyenas, eyes reflecting the light from my flashlight.
6) I hate biting insects. Totally revile them. I don't know why I still live here. The summer months are bringing crises of bug-hate.

I am in turn tagging:
1) My sister blog: Quu in Finland. I feel a garden-affinity with this northern gardener.
2) 1-2-3 Go Garden. This Canadian blogger grows the most daylilies I've ever seen.
3) Gardening Adventures from the North, a northern BC gardener. I hope to see how their season is going with more pictures soon!
4) My Roots Run Deep, one of the urban (Toronto) garden blogs I like to visit.
5) Greenforks, a UK garden blogger with some great garden photos and mouthwatering ideas for eating your garden produce.
6) Caribou BC gardener at High and Dry, very motivated despite a recent knee injury and surgery. Good luck over there!

6 comments:

kate smudges said...

You do truly live in a place where bugs love snacking for much of the summer. This morning, we were in a haze with the smoke from northern fires. It didn't last for more than a few hours though. Can't imagine what it must be like there.

Your facts were fun to read ... I chuckled with the bride-gardener- zilla reference. I'd love to hear the story behind the loss of your bike. A post sometime?

Happy Canada Day! It's a sunny and hot day here and rather quiet until the festivities get going tonight. Waiting for the fireworks ...

Lee17 said...

You lost your bike in a river?!? Oh no! My brother dropped his jeep upside down in a river once (off a small ledge)- he got it back, but it was quite an ordeal!

Really fun facts (I especially liked the one about the Serengeti and the hyenas)! Thanks for playing ;)

Deborah said...

Hello, I just found your blog on the Canadian garden Blog roll. The smoke you were choking on has now made it to southwestern Manitoba...but hey it may keep the mosquitoes away!
Nice meeting you!

Gardenista said...

Just to let all the concerned people know - I did get my bike back. I think some family members with a boat got it - but no more extreme biking for me.

Philosophical Karen said...

About your comment on my knitting blog, there are tons of free patterns on the web (to tide you over until you get to a bookstore). Another good book is Mason-Dixon Knitting. Oh, and if you don't have enough to keep you occupied on the internet already, you could join Ravelry. It takes a couple of weeks to get your invitation, but it is worth the wait.

Anonymous said...

I agree Hot Fuzz was good. Have you seen their other film - Shaun of the Dead? Very funny too.
P.S. - thanks for the tag I've put my entry up.