Saturday, September 15, 2007

Mid-September Bouquet

Last blooms of unnamed rose bush, with orange berries of the mountain ash tree in the background. Dozens of robins fought for a space on that tree today, as they gorged themselves on the ripe berries.Isn't it great to have flowers post-frost! We had a frost that wilted the petunias 3 days ago, but the perennials are tough enough to handle such small challenges! Oh yes, we also had wet snow for two days this past week, though nothing accumulated.

I cut this bouquet from my perennial beds for a party at our house today. The complimentary colors really represent the color scheme in my perennial beds quite nicely. My arranging skills may lack something, but the flowers look pretty regardless! Notice all THREE colors of my pacific giant delphiniums! (Guests say "Nice flowers." Me --the shameless flower nerd-- says while pointing: "There we have Summer Skies, Blue Bird, and King Arthur.")Digitalis flower, the "glove of the fox":
Delosperma, purchased this summer from the garden center as a "rock garden perennial", but from what I read, this succulent might not be hardy. I have no idea whether it will be there next spring or not! Fresh new Muscari armenianum (ordinary grape hyacinths)...no it's not a spring photo! This plant multiplies by seedlings and bulblets, growing thick like turf where it is not divided regularly. Now is the time to plant these bulbs for their bright blue flowers next April/May!

2 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Oh my, wet snow already! Mind you, my friend from Quesnel informed me that we could be getting some later in the week. We just fiished with a nice warm spell. Too hot to dig potatoes yesterday even though I did get a couple of plants done.

Nice to see that rose bloom this late in the game!

the Red Scot said...

Wow, beautiful foxglove and flower arrangement! Looks like your pup is happy with his fresh clucker...

...It's neat to hear about a little snow. We're at least a month away from the white stuff...